Kevin, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw/ audi specialist

I have Code P0171 on my 2003 VW Passat with the 1.8 turbo.

Customer Question

Good morning - I have Code P0171 on my 2003 VW Passat with the 1.8 turbo.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?
Customer: That's as exact as I know how to get. No I don't know how to reset it.
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just bought the car last night. I have an OBD code reader that showed the code. The nice lady I bought it from informed me that the code was there. She took it to Autozone and they printed out a short one page report suggesting the MAF Sensor may need replacing. Now that I'm looking at it, the code says P0171 System too Lean (Bank 1).
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car is not with me now. I left it at my mechanic's last night so they could look at first thing this morning. I wanted to know if I could do this myself in they event they come back with a high estimate to replace. I've seen a few videos on line that suggest this may be very simple and even might be able to be cleaned. Just wanted another opinion and some instruction maybe.
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 18 days ago.

Hi I'm Kevin the most common cause of this code on these engines is vaccumme leaks from pipes around inlet manifold . Can you hear any hissing when engine is running ?