vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

It will hit after cranking it but dies right away, 1998

Customer Question

It will hit after cranking it but dies right away
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 1998 jetta TDI
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I am I had to replace the injection pump because it was leaking. I also replaced the timing belt and all belts sence I was in there. I also replaced the glow plug relay (109)
JA: How many miles are on the timing belt? Have you ever had to change it before?
Customer: Yes I have changed it before there was only 60,000 on my old belt
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The check engine light doesn't come on when I first turn the key on
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need a vin # of the vehicle to assist!!

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
3VWRF81H9WM262546
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok on the 109 relay do you feel a click when the ignition turned on?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There is a click in the 109 relay. The glow plug light goes out quickly
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the check engine light does not light at all when you turn the key on
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
These are my OBD codes
P0380
P1144
P1163
P1617
I tried to start the engine with out the air box installed. I have installed the air cleaner box and hooked up the plug and the vacuum line. And still wont run
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok what happens if you spray for 3 secs carburetor cleaner in the intake and crank over to see if you have anything.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
nothing changes it still cranks for while then fires a few times and dies
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

hey sorry for the delay . if you loosen all 4 injector pipes at the injectors and crank how much fuel squirts in legnth while cranking?