vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

It will not start or crank, you can hit wire it with no

Customer Question

it will not start or crank
JA: Have you checked the fuel supply? And are all the spark plugs working?
Customer: you can hit wire it with no problems and the car will start
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2005 VW jetta 2.0 replaced started, starter relay ignition switch
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: replaced the starter, ignition switch, and starter relay. You can hot wire it with no problems
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need a vin # to assist you on your starting issue . got to get the wiring diagram !!

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

ok thanks. the first thing i do need to know if you turn the key on and you pay attention the gear indicator on the dash is park selected or all gears selected?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Just park
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

good !!! do you have a digital volt meter? i need you to disconnect the small connector of the starter and measure the voltage at that wire while turning the the key to crank. you may need a second person?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

at the small connector ? not the big wire . just want to make sure because the small wire connector needs to be unplugged to measure the voltage!!

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

Ok then lets do this take a jumper wire from the positive battery post to the terminal inside where that connector goes into and see if the starter activates . make sure it is in park before doing this!!

let me know

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I told you this already. You can bypass and the start the car with no problems.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

my bad!!! missed that !! i'm trying to find the park neutral relay for you to bypass!! may take a bit!!

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

under the dash do you have a 175 relay ?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I replaced the starter relay 175 I already which I beleive is the same thing as the park nuetral
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

when you replaced the starter switch did you look at the plug to see if there any meltdown?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
there were no meltdowns it looked brand new
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 22 days ago.

let me get the diagram need to check the wiring from switch to starter may have to bypass 175 this will be a bit and i need to put the kids to sleep . can i have it for you early in the morning?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
that is fine, Thank you
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 21 days ago.

need to do a voltage drop on that from the ignition switch to the starter with the starter connected with your meter on dc volts (note bypass relay with jumper wire!!!

what is the drop reading