vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

VW

Customer Question

VW
Category: VW
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My daughters car is making a strange noise that sounds like something is rubbing when she turns left. We have checked and double checked and cannot find anything that shows any rubbing at all. I have had it up on hoists and still can't see any that is rubbing. I installed new sway bar bushings, No Change. I installed a new wheel bearing, No Change. I installed a new cv shaft, No Change. Took it to a shop and they said it sounds like something is rubbing, so we looked again, there is nothing rubbing. What could this noise be?
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, have you checked the dust shield on the front left knuckle?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should point out that the noise is coming from the front right side when she turns left or so it sounds like it is. I did check the shield on the right side and there is plenty of clearance. I also changed the upper strut mount bushing and bearing, and still No Change.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK??

yea ok. im looking something up

what year and model and engine?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
2002 beetle 1.8 Turbo automatic

thanks

without me being there its impossible for me to even guess..... ill opt out and let another tech chime in. if a shop cant find it its hard to diagnose like this. good luck

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is there a bearing in the tranny where the cv shaft joins the transmission? This style of cv shaft attaches via 6 bolts to a flange; I assume the flange itself might be a bearing as well? and perhaps when a little stress is put on the cv shaft as the car turns hard left it makes this noise?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I presume that the right driveshaft was replaced correct? let me ask you this if standing still and turning do you hear the noise like a spring coiling up and then releasing?

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the right driveshaft was replaced in hopes the it would solve the noise issue. The only noise heard is when the vehicle is moving at just normal speed; when you begin to turn left, it makes a noise that sounds like something is rubbing. The strange thing is that the noise is primarily heard from inside the vehicle; when my partner has been outside the vehicle it is not heard. I stuck my head out the window when the noise was loud in the vehicle and I could not here anything outside, which suggests to me that it is not something near the wheel but more near the center of the car.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

let me ask some more please! now was there any other engine work done to the vehicle before this started? is this noise a deep noise or tinny?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Timing belt was done about 20,000 km's ago.
Deep I guess. It sounds like the tire is rubbing on the inner fender liner, but it definitely is not; and the fact that it cannot be heard outside would also suggest it is not the tire rubbing or you would hear it outside the vehicle as well.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok look at the mount at the right side at the timing belt area does the bolts look backed out where the engine is sagged down or the mount at the engine looks crooked?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We thought the same thing earlier today and we did check that area. I just double checked, used a pry bar to try and move things around but it all appears to be good.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok not loose but maybe bolted together cocked is what im wondering? pic of the mount will help me see what you are seeing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Lot of hoses right over top of that area, I pulled them back to get some shots as best I could.
Everything looks straight and good.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Your leaving me too? darn it all, somebody must know what's up here?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

lost electricity !!! sorry . the engine is pushed too much towards the right need to center the bolt head more . you see the witness mark where the bolt was tigtened before ? it needs to be at that position and then road test again!!!

let me know

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
What bolt are you referring too?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

the 2 where the mount of the body to the engine in the pic!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For clarification. You say that motor is too far to the right. Are you standing in front of the vehicle and it is too far to the drivers side or is "right" referring to the passenger side when sitting in the car?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

right means passenger side!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, but it seems to me that moving the bolts to where the witness marks are would make it even more to the right.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

trust me it will go the opposite way because you are making more space between the frame rail and the engine!!!