vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

Epc and brake light came on, but brake works fine also there

Customer Question

Epc and brake light came on, but brake works fine also there is a beeping while am driveng but when I stop the beeping stops too. this is a 2002 Jetta 2.0.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 27 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need you to go to the battery fuse box and see first if there is a melt down especially on the right side of the box . if no melt down then remove the 3 green fuses and see if there are any black marks on the blades of the fuse . if they are black or some arcing was taken place replace them with 30A fuses and then recheck if the lights go out

please let me know!!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I checked all 3 fuses and theyre all good
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 14 days ago.

Was a scan test perfomed o n the vehicle to see if any fault codes in other modules?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I check the fuse box from inside, it ended up being a 7.5 fuse which was giving the break light error, as soon as I replace it break light turned off and a minute later epc light did the same.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 14 days ago.

that is good news but why the fuse blew . i have a gut feeling you will have the same issue again with it blowing!!!

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I was thinking the same thing, what could have caused the fuse to blow?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 14 days ago.

i do need a vin # to look at the wiring diagram to see. and i need to know what fuse # position that 7.5 fuse . thanks

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
it was the sencond row 7.5 fuse, am pointing at it with the key
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 14 days ago.

ok i do need to know did the power windows work with the fuse blown?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
they worked
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 14 days ago.

ok what happens if you use the rear defogger does it blow?

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 14 days ago.

ok cruise control . you need to drive the car . use the resume ,set and canel buttons . thanks