Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Mechanical Engineer with 20 years experience in the auto industry, 8 yrs in formula 1 engine testing
12772297

We changed water pump and timing and put a new thermostat

Customer Question

We changed water pump and timing and put a new thermostat housing unit on and. Ever sense its been rattling. Way more than a tick, a clear rattle but its not exterior its definitely more than something on the outside being loose
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: 2 days, the house is loudest under the hood in the gender center of the motor area. It also seems louder behind the driver wheel than the passenger wheel. I'm flushing cooling system now.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: Noise not house* 2001 2.0
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Beetle. The rattling just stopped It comes back tho
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I told u everything we have done so far Did timing twice tho... Because the bottom wasn't quite right
Category: VW
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

I'd 1st suggest to pop the drive belt off and check the pulley and the rest of the pullies for stones stuck in a pulley groove

and also turn the new water pump( and the other ancillaries) by hand to check for tight spots

its also possibly trapped air in the cooling system

So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on thisquestion if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you