gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

After changing batteries on entry remote on my1998 beetle

Customer Question

after changing batteries on entry remote on my1998 beetle the alarm will not come on. before you ask about batteries if theyare assemble correct . yes they are .iam electritian
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 23 days ago.

Does your remote have an LED indicator on it to show when a button is pressed? Some of the earlier ones did not.

Do the doors lock and unlock with the remote? You are just saying that it does not "beep" and show the flashing light on the driver door, correct? If you have a door open anywhere, or the rear hatch, or the hood, or even if the stock radio is not seated properly, it will not arm the alarm, until it sees everything "closed".

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
my remote doesn't have led indicator there is no blinking light on driver side door , the alarm is just dead.
the remote never had led light when alarm was working properly.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 22 days ago.

Before you changed the batteries, had the remote been working at all? Sometimes the range is bad and you have to get really close to the car for it to work if the batteries are low.

Does the remote with new batteries lock and unlock the doors? There is a difference between locking the doors and arming the alarm system- if a door or trunk is open, the doors may lock but the alarm will not arm until all are closed. Arming is indicated by the alarm "beep" and headlights and tail lights flash

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Mr otaku; i am an electrician. batteries are good and the alarm was working good before. I don't know why but now the alarm is just silent .
. I had the car since bought it 1998 . and I know how it suppose to work. the technician before you said that the alarm needs to be reset it by the dealer . I like to hear your opinion.. Thanks

No, there is no "dealer only" reset. If it was working before the batteries were replaced, there is no good reason it would not work after. I have seen issues with DISarming the alarm after replacing the car battery, but unlocking the car manually and then reconnecting the battery usually takes care of that.

I have asked you if the remote locks or unlocks the doors- you just keep saying the alarm does not work. The two are separate but related- does the remote work to lock or unlock the doors, or open the trunk hatch?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Mr Utako; I got news; First of all, with doors and the trunk closed ,the remote will not do any thing, no sound or signs of any thing. isn't that pretty clear?
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I don't want to go any further, with you guys I am just going to take the car to the dealer.