vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have 2008 VW Jetta with BPY engine code. Cooling fan will

Customer Question

Hello..I have 2008 VW Jetta with BPY engine code. Cooling fan will not operate unless AC is turned on. If I shut AC compressor down both fans stop instead of just the AC fan. The fan occasionally would operate as normal however became increasingly less and less often to never now. No cells, no check engine lights no codes. Thank you in advance
Category: VW
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
First noticed problem when car was left to idle for a long period of time the engine overheated and car wouldn't start. Will start to climb after sitting for 5 minutes or less gradually up past 200,210,220 etc. I presume there is a temp. Once reached thst the ECU won't allow car to start as I had to wait until temp came down to start. All this is avoided if the AC is simply on. Both fans work when AC ON.
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David. let me see if theres another possibility here although I do believe you are on the right track with the module.

Using a multimeter, check the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor (G62) electrical harness connector terminals to the Motronic Engine
Control Module (ECM) (J623) electrical harness connector T60 terminals for an open circuit or a short to voltage, refer to the chart below

Specified values: 1.5 ohms Max. and 0 volts with key on and ECM disconnected.

If the specified value was Not obtained:

Check the wiring for an open or short circuit to Battery (+).

Check the electrical harness connector for damage, corrosion, loose or broken terminals.

If necessary, repair the faulty wiring connection.

If the specified value was obtained:

Using a multimeter, check terminal 2 of the ECT sensor to engine ground.

Specified value: 1.5 ohms Max

Check the wiring for an open circuit or high resistance.

-Check the electrical harness connector for damage, corrosion, loose or broken terminals.

-If necessary, repair the faulty wiring connection.

here are the diagrams and tables

checking in to see how its going