Kevin
Kevin, VW Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw/ audi specialist
84635724

Constant p0122 low voltage from TPS. 2006 jetta tdi, cleaned

Customer Question

constant p0122 low voltage from TPS.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2006 jetta tdi
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: cleaned both connectors on accelerator and maf. found some readings to check on the pins. Pin 1 and 2 getting 5v. Pins 1-5 and 2-3 also 5v
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can clear the code but it is always pending as soon as key is turned on. I am thinking it is a bad pedal but wondering if any sure way to check it.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Neautral
Category: VW
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Hi im kevin this code relates to the trottlle pot rather than the pedal its located on air intake heres a pic .

Check connector on throttle pot for corrosion

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I did inspect the throttle pot. I mistakenly called it the MAF. Pins seem clean
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Anyway to test the pot.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

These are very common to fail .can you freely move flap with fingers ? Remove flap and unbolt cover on electrical plug .check inside from any damaged teeth on cog or oil contamination

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK how long can I get back to you.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

No rush

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Also should the flap move freely and would that set the code as the code sets on the start up of the car. Does the ECU command movement of the flap on start up
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

The flap moves fully from stop to stop when ignition turned on and off .it will set code straight away

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Flap should move freely its not unusual for them to stick

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am not sure but did I mention that this is a TDI. Only a MAF sensor as far as I can tell
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My MIstake just wait for me to get back to you
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Ok

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am baffled here. I just purchased the TDI. It has an EGR delete kit on it and I cannot locate the throttle valve. Is it under the turbo from the backside?
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

It bolts onto where egr would be can you send be pic of engine as there are two possible variations

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I believe I have a BRM engine and here is a pic of the EGR side
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

That will be why the delete pipe for egr has also removed throttle flap .it should look like picture

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
am I stuck with this code. Drivability is still normal I was just trying to see why it was throwing this code.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

The only way to cure code is to get replacement parts .the trottle flap although we call it a throttle flap isnt one its a valve thats there to air shut down of engine and smooth ness of idle from vcold wont cause any real running issues

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK will a vag com programming get rid of the code? I am just starting to learn about the TDI. I am an aircraft mechanic by trade so this is a new challenge for me. I bought this car for longevity and I hope it does that. Kev
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

You should have no issues its a good engine not sure vag com is capable of this as it would need to be removed at a siftware level rather than just code .you would need a new map to remove from software

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
OK thanks for the advice. Did not solve the code but I at least learnt why it is there. I thought I would only get an EGR code but I was wrong. Kev
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

The egr is only vac operated and has likely already been written out of software as there are many maps for this

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Please remember to rate my service

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Please rate my service

Expert:  Kevin replied 8 months ago.

Please rate my service my info was correct