Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs

I just replaced my alternator because my battery died on the

Customer Question

I just replaced my alternator because my battery died on the road and it still doesn't charge the battery.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

have you checked battery for 12 volts ?

is it taking a charge , do a load test on it ,have you tried that ?

let start here for now

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

does the battery light stays on ?

I sent you the steps to test it , can you do that & let me know

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

the instrument cluster could be the issue if battery good

this test steps i sent should make you able to confirm it

Let me know if you need anything else on it , just reply back here & we can continue.

if you are good , Please Kindly rate me.

Hope I was helpful to you

A 5 Star Positive Rating is Much Apreciated

This Post Will Stay Open for You To Come back and Ask me Any Follow Up Question You May have on this issue , even after you rate me

Thank You

Chad Farhat
ASE Certified Tedchnician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The battery doesn't charge. I get 12.4 v while the car is running st 1500rpm. The battery light on the dash doesn't come on at all. I checked the bulb and it's good. I have a volt meter gauge and it holds at 12v. I checked the battery terminals and they're clean and tight and I even swapped batteries and nothing. The d+ is that the plug on the alternator with the one black wire?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also can't use the turn signal indicators. They went at the same time as the battery lost power

this the circuit diagram for the generator, D+ is black wire, check that please (REPAIR THAT WIRE , BASED ON THE DIAGNOSTIC TREE, LIGHT IS NOT ON ,& IT TELLS TO CHECK THAT D+ WIRE & REPAIR

yes D + is the black wire , i sent the circuit diagram for review as a link to my dropbox ,so you can downloaded and zoom in on it .

we can go to the turn signal not working , after we get 14 volts back & see if the turn signal still not working

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
According to the wiring diagram the d+ wire is blue and it goes to a connector near the battery. Mine is black and I don't see a connector near my battery.

let me double check it is 1996 jetta 2.0 liter correct ?

yes you correct , the d+ is blue , the diagram pic is fuzzy, but i looked again it is blue, that is what i m coming up for 1996 .

i m not sure why they are not matching

I will open up the question for you for another expert, somebody will have the correct diagram for you , since mine is not matching

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need a vin # to assist .

one other question when the key is on does the blower motor work, wipers, and when running is the brake light dimly lit?