vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

The radio is completely dead. I checked fuses 37 and 42, and

Customer Question

The radio is completely dead. I checked fuses 37 and 42, and they seem completely fine. :(
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: No, I am only aware of the one fuse panel on the left side of the dash
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2008 New Beetle
JA: Are you fixing your New Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I tried replacing fuse #42 even though it looked fine. That made no difference.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I also noticed that the lights that backlight the climate controls don't come on when the headlights and other dash panel lights are on
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 30 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Thank you Chad!

You welcome

1- it is either bad connection or bad radio if fuses are good

Pull the radio out and check the electrical connector on the radio for backed out pin not making good contact ,shine flash light on it & check for burned spots or melting

also use a test light with switch on , do you have power on any of the plug pins

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
OK. Any chance this would be at all related to the climate controls not backlighting when the headlights are on? All other dashboard controls light up when the headlight controls are on, but not the climate control.
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
the climate controls are right below the radio)

no , the backlight led in the panel burned out most likely,panel still working though as far as ac control though right ?

i m not sure if there is a bulb or it is a circuit board for the backlight,not sure on 06, i m trying to pull up the info on it,to confirm ,i have not had any luck yet, tell me in back of ac control has like black plastic cap, there will a small bulb under it, if it only has a plug connector than it internal to it and can replace any bulb .

the radio has a separate plug in , you going to be there pulling radio check the back of the climate control connector also .