vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

2013 VW cc rear seat backs won't fold down. They seem

Customer Question

2013 VW cc rear seat backs won't fold down. They seem locked. Just used them a week ago and they were fine?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

you will need a second person . one to pull the seat and the other to pull the cable. pull cable first before trying to move the seat back and see it it will fold down.

please let me know!!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I stated. In my original question, the seats seem locked. Pulling the cable from the trunk handles, or using the releases on top of the seat backs can't be done without causing damage since they seem locked.
Your method does not work.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

even when you push the seat back more towards the rear and hold then pull the release cable?

just want to make sure

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I used all my weight pushing the seat to the rear while trying the lever with absolutely no give in the lever. I don't think it has to do with the mechanism itself since both seat backs have separate levers, cables and locks. I'm guessing it is some type of safety interlock. It would be too much of a coincidence that both seat mechanisms failed at the same time.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

i have a cc right in front of me . do you have a cylinder where you can place a key inside to turn?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have tried that. It turns slightly but has a lot of resistance, enough that the key would break if I turned it any harder. Tried release latch before, during and after with no luck.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

is the seat belt jammed between the seat and the frame catch

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it is not caught. You seem to be ignoring that both seats (with separate locking systems) won't open.
Unless you can provide something more substantial, I appreciate your attempt but no new information was provided.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

if you cannot turn the cylinder then it may be the wrong profile of key blade . i do not know if you are the original owner or second , third .etc

have you tried the other remote with the key blade to see if that works or not?

i do understand of both seats but each one is induviually with its separate lock.

the justification is both are locked some how by either using excessive force then something jammed.

Fyi i'm a 20 yr VW dealer tech !!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Your explanation of
"the justification is both are locked some
how by either using excessive force then
something jammed."
doesn't make sense.
I have not used excessive force on either seat.
I didn't mean to belittle your experience.
I don't doubt your 20 yrs experience.
But...... No one knows everything.I have 32 years as a maintenance supervisor, and obviously am having a problem diagnosing the problem.Thanks for your attention.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

i'm not saying that you did but i'm here and you are there!!!

just for making sure did you try the second remote key blade and see it would turn? i have seen stranger things .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried the second key.
I never locked the seats so it's not surprising that neither key worked.
I appreciate your advise but I've applied for a refund.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

understand fully!!