Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I drove me car through a puddle and it stalled. We pulled it

Customer Question

Hi, I drove me car through a puddle and it stalled. We pulled it out of water and tried to start it and it doesn't start.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I did. There is no sign of corrosion. I was in water for only about 5 minutes.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: Jetta 2.0 TDi/ 2013
JA: What year is your Jetta?
Customer: 2013
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just tried to crank it up. It cranked up a couple times and stalled.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all I have tried doing
Category: VW
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. Did the water get on any of the spark plug wires or coils? if you can use a hair dryer to dry any moisture off or clean ex paper towels ect.compressed air like what you can by in a can for blowing computer key boards etc' Hope that helps and if you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so' you may need to replace the ignition wires or coils.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello Peter, Thank you for you response.
Is there a possibility of the engine being hydrostatically locked?

also depending where the air intake is and how deep the puddle was it may have swallowed some water ,so take the cover off the air filter and check for water in there

if any amount of water got into the intake yes , then you would have to take the pugs out spin over a few times dry the plugs and try that.