Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.
7276279

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI automati with 55,000 miles on it. It

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jetta TDI automati with 55,000 miles on it. It is my wife's car. She retired in '10 and when she worked she drove within a 20 mile radius of our home. The vehicle has been well maintained and kept in a garage.
I took it in for an annual inspection. I got an oil change and they recommended that I get the fuel filter replaced, which I did.
I got less than a mile from the dealership and the engine started racing. They tell me the clutch is broken $1700.00 Am I being scammed?
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

When you say the engine is racing are you saying it revs up but dose not pull while in gear?

Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Can you answer my last question, are you saying it revs up but dose not pull while in gear?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The dealer said that the clutch needs to be replaced. It is an sutomstc with some manual parts to the transmission.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

If in fact its slipping then yes they are unfortunately likely right. Having the oil changed as well as the fuel filter should not have affect it. It is a bit odd that it would go out at 55,000 miles but can happen and if you are doubting them then I would take it to a trusted shop and get s second opinion.