Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

This AM I tried to start and got the clickety clack noise of

Customer Question

This AM I tried to start and got the clickety clack noise of a dead battery. Light said "airbag error" or some such. A few hours later I checked and turned car on - engine did not turn over; panel lit up, same airbag message and then no matter what it wouldn't shut off (it kept saying ignition on, which it wasn't but it had lit the startup lights. Finally talked to a mechanic who suggested pulling the battery cable to stop draining the battery. Which it did. This is a 2013 VW Beetle with a keyless ignition
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: I have not tested bettery, I have changed one
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2013 Beetle
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Already outlined - I was planning on getting a jump from AAA tomorrow and/or new battery
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: You have the whole part about the "ignition on" not going off, right?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I would do as you have mentioned and start with having your battery checked to be sure it can hold proper voltage (12 volts ) and that the cables are clean and tight. If after doing this and it will still not start post back and we can work from there.