gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I recently replaced the convertible top and, since then, the

Customer Question

I recently replaced the convertible top and, since then, the window actuator does not work properly to raise & lower the window when you open and close the door.
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: It works, but it doesn't work all of the time like it should. Therefore, I don't think it's the fuse.
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: An upholstery body shop replaced the entire top because the back window was beginning to come lose due to age, sun or something. They replaced it last week. Since then, I've noticed that the driver's window does not raise or lower 1/2 inch as it should. I primarily drive it without a passenger, so I can't speak for what the passenger window does.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I can't think of anything else to tell you. Are you going to connect me to chat with a mechanic?
JA: No. I'm the VW Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Then what do you recommend that I do?
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 months ago.

This is commonly an issue with the latch (not related to the roof replacement) Check and see if the system even recognizes that the latch is open, turn the dome light to "door open", turn your key on, and open and close the driver and passenger doors and see if the dome turns on and off with the doors.

Replacing the latch is something we do ALL the time.