peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

2002 Volkswagen Beetle, seat belt alarm continues to sound

Customer Question

2002 Volkswagen Beetle, seat belt alarm Bell continues to sound even though belts are buckled, how to correct problem or can I pull a specific fuse out to disengage the alarm?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately there is no fuse to remove or anything that can be disconnected to resolve this as this is a safety feature for your model here.

Usually what fails and causes this fault here is a failed seat belt buckle as the electronic switch inside of it can fail and send a false signal that the belt is not latched even though it is.Usually it is the drivers front that fails as it is the buckle that is used the most.

The other issue is on some models he passenger front seat can use a weight sensing mat and if it detects weight it can cause the alarm like this to go off thinking someone is sitting in the seat.Try buckling the passenger front belt and see if it stops.If it does then there is a fault with the weight sensing system and would need checked into further first checking for any fault codes with a fully compatible scan tool and diagnostic testing to see if the mat/weight sensors need replaced or recalibrated.

If the alarm still continues even with all buckles latched I suspect the latch for the drivers seat is faulty needing replaced.This would need tested further to be sure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete