gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

It's stuck in reverse. Won't go into park or neutral to

Customer Question

It's stuck in reverse. Won't go into park or neutral to start.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: It's been doing this for a while...not shifting into park. But I've been able to start iin neutral. I was told be one mechanic the whole shifter would need to be relaxed. Very expensive.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 08 jetta
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'd love to fix it but it's over my head. Not sure where to start. Main concern is getting it started.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

When you step on the brake pedal, does the indicator show the shifter is released? Do you hear a "clunk" down in the shifter, as the release solenoid retracts?

Typically, when it just won't go into Park (can you not get your key out?) it is just a matter of replacing just the shifter handle, not the whole assembly.

Can I have your VIN so I can look up build-specific data for your car?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it's 3VWJM71K99M031210No the shifter doesn't release when the brake is pressed.I'm able to remove the key if I move it just right.

check to see if your brake lights come on when you step on the brake pedal. does it show the appropriate gear in the gauge cluster- ie, when you are in neutral with the shifter, does it show N on the dash?