gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 93 eurovan they discontinued the neutral safety

Customer Question

i have a 93 eurovan they discontinued the neutral safety switch and replaced it with an oval one instead of square i have obtaianed the replacement and the plug but can not seem to figure out the wiring.help
Category: VW
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok,the wiring on the van is,grayand black-yellow and blk-,purple,-purple and blk,-brown and blue,-brown the wiring on new sensor is same except no purple and blk,but have a red and blk?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 months ago.

Can I have your VIN to look up build-specific data and to look at the wiring diagrams? And do you have any pictures, you can post them up in your question thread.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Here is some pics
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The first pic is wiring seconded is VIN#

So with it hooked up like that, is it not working?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No and I have tried about 7 or 8 different ways
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I know that the black and yellow wire is my power 12.0 v then the purple and the purple and black wires are 4.3 v there is nothing on on the brown the brown and blue and the Grey and black.hope this helps you help me.oh the sensor came off a golf but not sure exact year

What is the part number of your old part- and the one you are trying to install, does it have a VW part number on it?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
on the old one.i will go to the vehicle and then send you the number off the new one.i know it ends with an F.will get right back to you
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry for the delay in getting the part number from the new sensor it's as follows-095919823F

Sorry for the delay, JA was not putting your active question back in my list. For some reason my ELSA wiring diagrams won't load at home, I'll take a look at them in the morning at work. You must have a pretty early model, I don't think I have worked on one with the square version of that switch for a long time. I have a bunch of the "oval" ones sitting in my toolbox, I took them out every time I sent a tranny in as a core. There's been a couple times we didn't have one in stock in parts, and a customer needed one so I just pulled out my good used one and swapped it in!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you for your response, yes it's an early 93,also want to add that it was converted I believe in the factory as a handicap vehicle with a wheelchair lift ,the van is in exceptional shape with few problems the original switch worked just developed an internal leak.looking forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Have not heard back from you, the people at ask.Com have asked me several times if I was wanting a refund. I said no, really need the answer, so if there's a way to hook it up correctly please let me know. If not,would appreciate you saying so. I have confidence in you though.

Hey there- I didn't realize you had responded- the system didn't put you back in my list of questions!

For some reason the 93 doesn't have a wiring diagram for the transmission in ELSA- so I am going by the diagram for the 95.

I'll list the wires, the color and size listed, and what pin they come from on the MF switch, and where they go-

Pin 1 is black with a lilac tracer .5mm, goes to pin 5 on the park/neutral relay

Pin 2 is just lilac .5mm, goes to pin 40 on the TCM

Pin 3 is brown .5mm, goes to ground (shared ground with kickdown switch)

Pin 4 is empty

Pin 5 is black with a yellow tracer .5mm, goes to pin 60 on the TCM and also to pin 5 on the p/n relay (fed from fuse 14 10a)

Pin 6 is grey with a black tracer 1mm, goes to pin 62 on the TCM

Pin 7 is brown with a black tracer, goes to pin 18 at the TCM and also to pin 9 on the p/n relay

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you for responding,i won't be able to rewire the switch until saturday,however i will respond and rate at that time.