vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

Sunroof wont close. It gets 80% there and then goes back way

Customer Question

sunroof wont close. It gets 80% there and then goes back way deep into pocket. The shad goes back too far also.
JA: What is the model of your '80 VW?
Customer: 2009 VW GTI
JA: Are you fixing your GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've used an alan torque wrench to close it all the way. then I turn dial so just the back flips up. Then I open only that part so I can seal it against rain but not all the way
JA: Do you have the torque specs?
Customer: no I use a torque wrench to close it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just if I can fix it or if I need to take to dealer
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

if you press the sunroof button and hold does the upwards does the sunroof close and any noises heard when closing ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I figured it out yesterday. My model doesn't have a button. You can't push it. Tried that a thousand times. You have to turn the knob to 12oclock and then pull down on the back of of the knob until you hear a click. The sunroof cover will then move as long as you hold the knob down until closure. After doing this a few times, the memory is relearned and it operates normally. Thanks for trying to help me and I hope you learned better how to help others. Tom