peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My exhaust system light and engine light is on, It stalls

Customer Question

My exhaust system light and engine light is on
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: It stalls all the time.. while on the interstate it will slow down to about 40 MPH and I would be flooring the pedal sometimes it stops in the middle of the street
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: VW Jetta 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't mind having my father try to fix it rather than a shop since it's probably cheaper.. I haven't tried anything yet simply because I don't know what to try
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's about it
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Since your check engine light has come on the first thing that needs done here is to have the fault codes read out/checked to see what codes are set.This is done with a compatible scan tool that can plug in and communicate with all computers.Most shops and dealers of course can check the codes as well as diagnose and repair the fault.In allot of cases though you can get the fault codes read out at no cost to you at a local parts store like Auto Zone.If you can get the codes read out then post them here this will help me help on locating the possible fault.

I have seen issues with restricted exhaust components like a catalytic converter (gas engines) or DPF (exhaust filter on diesel engines) cause this issue here as well as exhaust sensors that can fail and cause this fault.These are the most common causes.The fault codes do need read out though since there are several possible causes here and this will help diagnose and locate the fault.In some cases the local parts store can also give you an idea of the fault or the code may point straight to the fault in some rare cases.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I go get the codes, will I be able to come back on here and respond to you free of charge? or would I have to pay again?

Yes,you can obtain the codes and come right back here to this post and post the code numbers that are set and we can continue from there.As long as you stay here your o.k.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It might be a couple of hours before I can come back on here.. is that okay?

No problem.I will be here most all day as well as all week and will see your reply and post back as quickly as I can.

Thanks Pete