vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

2008 vw rabbit Wouldn't start after rain last week Tach goes

Customer Question

2008 vw rabbit
Wouldn't start after rain last week
Tach goes funky when you turn key and engine isn't running
Replaced crank position sensor
Drove home 20miles
Parked
Ran for 1 minute this morning before stalling
Won't start
Getting p2127 (current fault)
P0725 pending
P0322 pending
P0102 pending
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Hello Greg....

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note some issues may need more time where then a Premium service offer may come in play for the more complex diagnosis to get to the root cause!!! I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need to know some more information does the abs and brake light flash at times?

any recent accidents?

any recent repairs before this issue?

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. No
2. No
3. No
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

ok thanks for the more info . there can be 2 things . one the wiring harness (60 pin) needs to be replaced . there is a 5 volt reference wire that goes to alot of the sensors and if that 5 volts is corrupt it will do alot of stupid things like youare describing. second it can be the throttle body but with the other codes stored i'm leaning more the wire harness for the engine .

one last thing....when you turn the key on now does the check engine light come on right now?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I believe so, but the vehicle is at home and I am at work. I know when I went to get it from my wife's work (when I thought it was the crank position sensor) the light was on and after replacing the sensor the light went off.As soon as I get home I will confirm.I am an electronics technician and am very comfortable with troubleshooting using wiring diagrams.I do have a crappy meter at home but I also have access to a nicer fluke from work.If there is anything I can safely check let me know and I will gladly do it!Thanks in advance for your time.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

vag com scanner will also be needed. with a fluke!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I already own a PLX Devices Kiwi 2 Bluetooth OBD Car to Smartphone Wireless scanner. Will this not be sufficient?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

it may

lets first see if the key on the check engine light comes on in the dash

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The light is on but the car doesn't start so all the lights are on
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

do you have spark at the coils? ehat happens if you spray carb cleaner or starting fluid does it kick over?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have never checked for spark on a coil pack- how would I go about this?Should I take of the filter assembly and spray carb cleaner directly into the intake?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

yes you will need to take the intake tube off and spray into the throttle body

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the Spark? (31 august 2016 08:44)
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

the spark is usually removl of the spark plug and coil . insert the plug in the coil with the connector connected a ground wire wrapped around the threads of the spark plug to battery ground and have a second person crank the engine and you look at the plug and do you see spark?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sounds good- thanks for the clarification- I will try this as soon as I get home.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't get any spark from 2 spark plugs but I also noticed the spark plugs are horribly covered. The car has 140k and I've never changed them!I tried putting a meter on the top with it on the battery ground just to ensure I was making good continuity and I got nothing.So I took out the plug and tried on the threads to the top of the plug and again nothingI will try to attach picsCould this be my problem?Btw when I tried meter in new plugs I got .5 ohms which is basically the resistance of the cableWhat are your thoughts on the coils?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

its possible that because the plugs had a wide gap due to no replacement stresses the coil.

do you have compression in each cylinder?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Idk I've never checked for compresio
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

i just want to make sure on the compression easy (dirty) way is all plugs out and second person crank the vehicle and you put your hand over the hole to see there is any pressure .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will try that tonight.
thanks for your continued support Wolfgang. I told my friends about this service and they are pleasantly surprised by the process so far. Keep up the good work.I feel we're almost there!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

yeah that spark plug is shot !!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
New spark plugs installed
There seems to be compression
No spark
Checked ground electrode to ground 0.4 ohms
She rolls over strong but that's about it
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

I DO NEED A VIN # PLEASE

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Wvwdb71kx8w229444
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Why the v #?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

MY DATABASE IS VIN DRIVEN TO GET THE REPAIR INFORMATION TO ASSIST

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT THE UNDER HOOD FUSE BOX F14 FUSE IS NOT BLOWN AND CHECK IF YOU HAVE 12 VOLTS AT THE FUSE

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
F14 is good and I have 12v
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
You there?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

sorry for the delay had a bad car accident and was in the hospital . just got home .

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Crap man- no problem. You Ok?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

broken leg . AFU

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Sounds like your weekend was worse than mine. Get some rest. The cars will be there tomorrow.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

will do and thanks will get back after i can get my brain on track

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hey Wolfgang,I see this question is closed but we never finished. Can we pick up where we left off- or can you transfer the information to another VW tech. My neighbor keeps bringing me business cards for his mechanic friends- I think he's trying to tell me to get my broke down car out of the driveway. I cant blame him.