vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

2012 Passat, 80,000 miles, at hwy speeds will putter and 50

Customer Question

Hello Pearl,
2012 Passat, 80,000 miles, at hwy speeds will putter and 50 mph max.
p0300, random cylinder misfire
P0301, cyl 1 misfire
P0351, multiple cyl misfire
P0304, cyl 4 misfire
Suspect crank position sensor.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: Did not on the five mile trip home.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. Have not tried anything yet. Started acting up yesterday and I will work on it today.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 4 cyl, standard shift,
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need some more info .

if you switch the coils from #1 and #2 does the misfire still occur over 50 mph?

when you rescan does the p0302 code come up?

please let me know