vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

I just bought it to days ago and everything runs fine but

Customer Question

i just bought it to days ago and everything runs fine but the check engine light came.. its not flashing its just on i know i need freon but thats about it
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it stays on it doesnt blink
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: its a 2003 vw beetle convertible
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i was going to go take it in to have it read to see what was on and then take it to a mechanic
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: the driver window isnt working but i am getting that fixed
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Justanswer. Thank you for your question and I will assist you with your concern.

The check engine light comes on when the system sees a fault and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or code. In order to know what is failing you are going to need to start first with having the system scanned. In most states you can stop by your local Auto Parts store such as Auto Zone and have a scanned performed at no charge. If you can get this done and post back with the results I can advise you on the needed repair.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok sounds good
Expert:  Ron replied 1 month ago.

Post back with the fault code and or codes and we can work from there. As long as the light is not flashing you are safe to drive it as well.