gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

2006 Jetta TDI stumbles at take off when cold and will

Customer Question

2006 Jetta TDI stumbles at take off when cold and will hesitate/bog down at about 2000 rpms when warm or cold. Giving it more throttle will pull it out of it sometimes other times it will not either way black/gray smoke rolls.. Runs better with the MAF unplugged just sluggish at the start. Replaced MAF no change. Tried unplugging EGR ran great, after several keys off apparently went into limp home mode, would not get out of its own way. Plugged it back up and stumble returned. Any thoughts?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you been losing oil or coolant?
Customer: 178000 no oil or coolant loss.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Had it in the dealer and they said that the throttle valve was sticking so I replaced it. No change. Replaced the MAF after it ran better after unplugging. Fuel filter has been changed also.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The cam and lifters have been replaced along with the dual mass flywheel.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 months ago.

do you change your fuel filter regularly? Is your air filter clean? What kind of fuel do you use, is biodiesel a big deal in your area?

Has the intake and EGR been checked for any sludging inside?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The fuel filter has replaced in the last 300 miles, no change. I use fuel from brand name high use stations and stay away from biodiesel.I checked the EGR when I replaced the throttle valve, the valve and EGR had a little bit of deposits but nothing excessive.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It acts as if the throttle plate is restricting the air flow into the engine when it bogs down then it will take off like nothing is wrong. It logged one count of the fault for the throttle valve and that was when the dealer said to replace it. Later it logged one count for the MAF, so it was replaced. Getting tired of throwing parts at it with out any improvement. Like I said before unplugging the MAF or EGR and the thing runs great on the default specs, just sluggish on take off. But no stumbles.

can I have your VIN to look up build data?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.