vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

After being away for a couple months I tried to start my '11

Customer Question

After being away for a couple months I tried to start my '11 Tiguan. No Luck. At first it appeared the battery was dead so I got a jump...no luck. Pulled battery to take to auto parts store, their machine said kaput so I bought a new battery...no luck. Local VW mechanic asked if I had both keyfobs...said a dead fob battery could cause that but Tiguan is not keyless start. What do you think?
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Keyfob or car battery?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just replacing the car battery with a new one.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Just that, according to the guy who kept Tiguan in his garage while I was gone, it started fine every couple weeks until literally the day before I returned.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

when you use the unlock or lock buttons on the remotes does the red led light flash ?

on theright side of the steering column there is a cover remove that cover and you will find a ring . place the remote inside the circle of the ring and press the start button does the dash come on and start the car?

please let me know

thanks