vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

The cooling fans on my Beetle are not turning on. When I

Customer Question

The cooling fans on my Beetle are not turning on. When I turn the AC on neither fan turns on. I tested the fans by putting current to them and they start up. I also tested current with the ignition switch in the on position to the two terminals going to the fan rely (the one with two connectors). I tested the larger connector that has four pins. Tested the two narrow width pins and have 18 volts of current. What is my next step to find the problem. I also checked the fuse on the inside door for the fans and it is good.
Category: VW
Expert:  david craig replied 2 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. first of all 18 volts is way too much voltage for those fans to run. I would definitely check them again. fyi...voltage is not current. let me know if it still is 18 volts and we will look into why.

any progress?