Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

My license plate lights were intermittent so i figured maybe

Customer Question

My license plate lights were intermittent so i figured maybe the bulbs were going so got new bulbs and they don't work. So then my next thought was maybe it was a fuse but i couldn't find a fuse. After that i figured maybe it was a connection problem with wiring due to the guy who had the car before me tried hooking up a backup camera to the backup lights so I'm lost.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Do you know what they look like?
Customer: yep so there is one on the drivers side on let of console then the on win the engine bay under the hood
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2008 jetta
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes i do unless its a wiring problem. I have tried new bulbs but nothing. Don't know what fuse it is
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The guy who had the car before me tried hooking up a backup camera to the backup lights.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

1-check fuse in both panel fuses you found ,inside the cabin & outside

2- go the licenses plate and pull out the connector & check it ,with a test light is there power & ground to it ?

3- most of the times it is the connector , or the wiring to it ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat