Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,

Esp error & brake error lights (both orange) always on with

Customer Question

hello ! esp error & brake error lights (both orange) always on with new beetle TDI 90HP (2000)
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: i'll have to check that and come back to you (i'm not with my car now);
JA: What year is your New Beetle?
Customer: 2000
JA: Are you fixing your New Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: recently had to change the famous relay 109 (start motor & fuel pump) because suddenly no more fuel while driving (very annoying); everything was okay after that for a week or so; now the new problem: the 2 indicators (esp and brakes)
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: a relay was changed in the very first 2 years of the car, for the same reason of suddenly no more fuel while driving; that's almost 15 years ago; the car was still under warranty, they changed it at the garage and showed it to me afterwards; if try to remember visually what it looked like, i think it was larger than the 109 one; so: are there any other relays that could explain the 2 indicators i'm suffering from now (esp and brakes) ?
Category: VW
Expert:  Greg replied 2 months ago.

Hi and good morning .

You will need to get to your local Dealer or repair shop and have them hook up a diagnostic scan too to you mamagamnet system and check for malfunction codes .

When this happens you may find that you only have a problem with one of the wheel speed sensors ,this is the most typical issue for these two lights coming ON.

But have the diagnostics check first as it could be anything from these speed sensors to a brake switch or any other sensor in the ABS system .

Need further assistance with this issue then please get back to me if needed.

Kindest regards Greg