Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs

I have a 2006 vw jetta BRM engine. was driving along and the

Customer Question

i have a 2006 vw jetta BRM engine. was driving along and the car just shut off. still had power but just engine died. Car cranks for days but the engine will not start. Doesnt even try and fire. replaced the lift pump intank. have lots of fuel to the tandem pump. have code for cam sensor signal out of range. tried new cam sensor, same result, tried load testing the cam wiring to the ecm same result. tried a different ecu, same result. i set car at #1 tdc and checked the cam pulley, its centered in the slots. Out of ideas at this point. also pulled tandem pump apart, everything looks ok. hooked up pressure gauge while cranking at 295 rpm had 21 psi fuel pressure.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

what happens if you shoot for 3 senconds wd/40 in the intake does the vehicle start with the original ecu installed?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i had disconnected the glowplugs, and shot some ether in the intake, the vehicle does not start but does sputter a bit and try to start, as compared to no starting fluid it just cranks.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok glow plugs plugged in and spray for 5 seconds and then try again please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
tried that and it still didnt fire. i went out on a limb and checked the cam timing and turns out it jumped a few teeth. belt was still tensioned, but definitly off a few teeth. replaced the belt, pulley, idler and water pump and now good to go!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

nice !!

anything else ?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.