vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My EPC light has come on this causes my cruise control to

Customer Question

My EPC light has come on this causes my cruise control to stop working it also stops my interior air button from working do you have any idea what the problem is I have a 2004 VW passat. Also my idle speed goes up about three or 400 rpm's
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

the next step is a scan test to see what faults are stored in the engine computer . need to narrow down the issue!!

let me know what codes are stored!

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This answer does me no good at all. I wanted some possibilities on what I could check on my own. That is the point of this site not to have to take it to a dealer/mechanic to pay their inflated prices.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

i understand what are you saying but that would take alot of time to check . that is why the scan test would be beneficial and shorten the list to a couple of things than over 20 things. autozone does a free scan!!!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My phone number is(###) ###-####
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Alan the phone call service is a premium service. Due to site regulations if you want the phone call a premium service must be accepted and we can continue!!

thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
OK the diagnostic test said manifold boost pressure sensor or manifold pressure boost Sensor probably same thing but I have more symptoms . when I start the car no EPC light about 8 miles down the road the car while hiccup actually in idol Will turn off but while the car is driving will continue running the idle goes up 400. When I say the car hick ups it actually turns off for a moment and then quickly turns on again as long as the car is driving but if the car is in Idol and it hiccups it will stop
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

alan so you have wht Pxxxx code?

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There were no code numbers just the statement manifold boost pressure sensor I even went back to the mechanics and ask them about codes they said they were no code numbers just the manifold pressure boost sensor was three times displayed
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Alan i can lead you to numerous checks here and there and most likely you will be in the same spot when you began with no fix. That code number has meaning of which way to go in diagnosis

example p0301 misfire #1 cylonder 004 and p1296 malfunction in cooling system 000 the p # and the 3 digit # narrows down if it is a short, open , operation fault, range performance fault , etc......

i do not want to waste your time on this and not get anywhere . I do hope you understand. so the code #'s and the 3 digit # is needed to get you in the exact area of testing and the right test plan.

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The code that came up was 16 622
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

sorry i had a bad accident. broken leg!! is the boost sensor at the innercooler connected?

please if connected see if there are ant damage with the wiring

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Where is the boost Sensor I'm not sure where the intercooler is can you give me an indication
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

the inner cooler is located on the drivers side under the power steering reservoir area.