vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

O3 GTI 1.8T Suddenly won't start. Turns over fine, but no

Customer Question

Hi Pearl..O3 GTI 1.8T Suddenly won't start. Turns over fine, but no fire. Have replaced FPR and crank positioning sensor. Checked for spark at plug and is fine. Also noticed dry cylinder, no gas.Pulled fuel filter and outlet side spits when ignition turned on, but not when cranking. Also applied remote 12 volt directly to fuel pump and it seems to power up fine. Disconnected(one at a time) both feed and return lines at injector rail, but no pressure upon cranking. Not much hair left to pull.
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: Not at all.
JA: What year is your GTI?
Customer: 2003.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Hi again.. I typed a long list before. Have you seen it..
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Cant think of anything more.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

can you hear the fuel pump run when cranking? listen under right rear seat bottom . flip up and remove access cover to really listen.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nope.Not working while cranking. Also ran OBDII, showed code P0261.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

i do need a vin # please to assist!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

is fuse 32 blown?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
10a. No.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok do you have power at fuse . measure voltage while cranking with a digital volt meter . must be 12 volts or better.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I guess we are done. I do not have a volt meter. I am a ``back yarder trying to fix my car before having to take it in to a mechanic.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A friend just showed up with a volt meter. I will test and retext you.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi..just tested, no voltage at fuse.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Are you there..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I`m going home. Will; try you later.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

sorry for the delay was with the family. on top of the battery is a fuse box . flip the lid and check if there is any meltdown?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

did you replace the 409 relay ? under the dash . that is the fuel pump relay and that controls the pump. the new part # is 1j0 906 383c is the latest part # and recommend from the dealer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Wolfgang..I had already stated that I had replaced the fuel pump relay. Thanks for trying..Having it towed in now.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Sorry FPR to me is fuel pressure regulator