vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

In a 1999 VW Jetta 2.0 a Cooling fan continues to run and

Customer Question

In a 1999 VW Jetta 2.0 a Cooling fan continues to run and killed battery. How do I turn off the fan?
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: No. But it is not leaking.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. Just got the battery charged
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

Was the vehicle in a recent accident?

did the vehicle overheat recently ?

is the check engine light on ?

please let me know

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No as to all three
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

ok i do need a vin # of the vehicle

next you will need a digital volt ohm meter to do some checks