Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

My Son has a 2001 Jetta with a 1.8 L turbo. It doesn’t have

Customer Question

My Son has a 2001 Jetta with a 1.8 L turbo. It doesn’t have enough ground clearance and a rock punctured the oil pan. He was fairly close to home so he dashed home real fast rather than just stop and shut it off as he should have. I’m guessing it ran a couple minutes starved for oil. I bought a new pan and noticed what looked like bearing material in the bottom of the old pan as well as in the suction screen. I talked to a local mechanic and he thought it could be the oil pump so I went ahead and got a new one. I turned it over to the mechanic at that point and let him install the new pump and pan. He also pulled a rod cap and plastigauged it. The clearance was fine and there was no sign of scuffing on the main journal. He did not check the rod bearings. When we first started it cold, it was fine but after it warmed up the check light came on and the low oil pressure indicator went off. He put a pressure gauge on it and said that it had low oil pressure, around 12 – 18 lbs and didn’t sound really healthy. I am deaf so I’m kind of helpless there. He suggested we just drive it, that it could last indefinitely. My Son has been driving it around town to school and back. He says it runs fine but the other day I noticed an oil leak up front. It turns out the front main seal is out. As I see it, I have about 3 choices, either try to locate the cause of the oil pressure problem and get it fixed, put a low mileage used engine in it or call the salvage yard. Do you have any suggestions? I was planning on talking to the mechanic again tomorrow.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Chad ,Welcome To JustAnswer, I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting a reply ASAP

hey how are you

1-It probably will run a long time sat 12 18 psi of oil pressure

2-since the oil pump is new & oil pressure is still low than that low pressure has to be caused by lack of oil change & the oil passage in the head & block are clogged if that is the case another engine will be best since you cant tell that with out tearing it down, I suggest using a thinner oil , like 5w30 weight to make it easier for the oil to circulate

3- if the car other component are good , trans ,suspension, ac etc.. then cheapest way get a used low mileage engine & keep the car

4- if the vehicle has other problems then time to call the salvage yard .

Please let me know if that works for you

Thank You

Chad Farhat