Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Check engine light on and

Customer Question

2011 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI. Check engine light on and codes. Computer diagnostic shows codes 13D7 (or 05079) and 13D9 (or 05081) - internal glow plug pressure sensor codes. Dealership service dept checked, says 2 of the 4 glow plugs are bad. Recommends replacing all 4 now, at a cost of $1,175.00 (parts/labor/tax).
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: It stays on
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have no mechanical ability. Just wondering if I should replace the glow plugs at all, or continue to drive it with the plugs as is. I only plan to keep the car for 1 year.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: That's all the info I have right now. The check engine light did not come on until right after the garage did an oil change.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

the sooner the better these glow plugs do more than just assist in starting . it has a built in sensor to measure the pressure in the cylinder . if you are getting rid of the vehicle just do the 2 .

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang