david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  owner/mechanic at 3D Automotive
4993992

2004 VW Passat 1.8t. brake lights not working, ABS light is

Customer Question

2004 VW Passat 1.8t. brake lights not working, ABS light is on, and cruse control stopped working at same time.
JA: While using the cruise control can you accelerate or decelerate? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: no and fuses are good
JA: Are you fixing your VW Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm still trying diagnosing before taking action
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'm wondering if ABS module as control of cruse control and if it could be the cause of brake light interruption. brake switch does unlock floor shifter when brake peddle is down.
Category: VW
Expert:  david craig replied 3 months ago.

Hi Im David. that all leads to the brake switch being bad. no interlock, no cruise control, no brake light..........

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I didn't say brake switch or interlock solenoid was bad. But cruise control, brake light, and ABS light comes on after start up and when put in drive position.

you said the brake switch does not unlock the floor shifter. that the interlock

your brake switch is bad. or the wiring to it.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But the interlock works with the brake switch? Can it work for the interlock and not the brake lights? Brake light bulbs and new.

im just going by your original statement"brake switch does unlock floor shifter when brake peddle is down."

so if that is wrong, then what is the problem now? you have an "abs" and "brake" warning light on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. Brake lights not working at all with new bulbs and no blown fuses. 2. Only the ABS lights are coming on. 3. Cruise control stopped working. All happened at same time. Could the ABS module control be the cause?

no. the abs module has nothing to do with the cruise. if a fault is due to the abs module it will turn on the brake and abs and trac control(if you have it) warning lights. if your brake lights arent coming on in back, that is going to be relatede to the brake light switch or the wiring or the fuse

ill find a wiring print and send it to you, so you have a better idea

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you sir. this was very help full.

you're going to have to give me a while bud. these prints are all germanized......got get my captain crunch decoder ring out ...lol

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Got ya......

not finding any good prints. replace the brake light switch. it has everything to do with all your issues.

ill keep looking, but you must go with the most obvious scenario

check this out. there is a recall for your car.

Recall Number

07V063000

Recall Date

02/20/2007

Component

EXTERIOR LIGHTING:BRAKE LIGHTS:SWITCH

Summary

ON CERTAIN PASSENGER, WAGON, AND CONVERTIBLE VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH OR WITHOUT CRUISE CONTROL, A BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH MAY MALFUNCTION IF IT WAS INSTALLED INCORRECTLY.

Consequence

THE BRAKE LIGHTS COULD BECOME INOPERATIVE, OR REMAIN ON. FAILURE TO PROVIDE THE PROPER SIGNAL WHEN BRAKING COULD LEAD TO A CRASH WITHOUT WARNING.

What Owners Should Do

DEALERS WILL INSTALL THE NEWLY DESIGNED BRAKE LIGHT SWITCH FREE OF CHARGE. THE RECALL BEGAN ON APRIL 27, 2007, AND WILL BE CONDUCTED IN SEVERAL STAGGERED MAILINGS THROUGH SEPTEMBER 21, 2007. VEHICLES WITHIN THE MAKE, MODEL, AND MODEL YEAR OF THIS POPULATION MAY BE INVOLVED IN EITHER THIS RECALL OR 06V-183, BUT NOT BOTH. THE REMEDY IS THE SAME FOR EACH RECALL. VOLKSWAGEN DEALERS WILL APPLY THE REMEDY BASED ON THE VIN NUMBER OF THE VEHICLE. OWNERS MAY CONTACT VW AT 1-***-***-****.

Read more at https://www.cars.com/recalls/volkswagen-passat-2004/#65UJ16UfMJMzCyFQ.99

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be many thing things ranging from wheel speed sensors, wiring, the ABS module itself, brake switch, the steering angle or yaw sensors can cause the lights to come on but wouldn't normally affect cruise. Lack of wheel speed signal or the ABS module being down will cause the lack of cruise, as will lack of brake switch signal.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool to see if the ABS module is communicating, and if so to see what fault codes are setting. Electrical testing will need to be done from there.

are you still in need of assistance?