Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certs.

2001 VW New Beetle, 1.8L Turbo When you drive 65 mph and

Customer Question

2001 VW New Beetle, 1.8L TurboWhen you drive 65 mph and over the car acts as if you took your foot off the accelerator and starts to slow down. If you take your foot off the accelerator and reapply it sometimes it will start to speedup, sometimes you have to do it a few times. The "check engine" light does not come on at all, no lights come one. This has happened more times then I can count but it hasn't happened for the past year or so. Then about 3 weeks ago it started doing it again, had the oil changed (as it was time) and told the mechanic to change the fuel filter. Filter was disgusting, so he said it might help but wasn't sure as he is not a VW mechanic. One week after the change it started acting up again and has consistently done it every day since 08/04/16, and some days several times a day (always on the freeway going 65 or more, never on city streets).Any ideas or suggestions? Don't really have the money or luxury to buy a new/used car for my daughter.Thanks!
Category: VW
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Hello Patricia, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here. I would start with having your mechanic install a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring. Normal fuel pressure needs to be right at 35 to 45 PSI and hold steady, anything lower then 35 would indicate your fuel pump is failing . Have him check this and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Ron, Unfortunately my daughter goes to school almost 2 hours away & will not be home with her car until 09/24 and it's only for overnight. We do not have a mechanic by her, and her schedule has been pretty hectic for school now (7 days a week) until the first of the year. I'll have to try and figure something out.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 months ago.

Okay Im here if you need me.