vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have an symbol...triangle with a partial circle and arrow

Customer Question

I have an amber symbol...triangle with a partial circle and arrow to left....just started shifting rough as this came on
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you noticed any leaking?
Customer: transmission is old but havent noticed leaking
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2003 jetta
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't tried anything...didn't know the symbol meaning
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nno
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

any recent repairs before this issue you have now?

any recent accidents?

was a scan test performed?

please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No to all the above-mentioned
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

that symbol is the trction control light so a scan test is needed to isolate and get to the root cause of why the light does come on . too many things can cause this light so a scan is needed to narrow down.