Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience

I can't twist the fuel pump to remove from tank by hand.

Customer Question

i can't twist the fuel pump to remove from tank by hand. It's offset and I twist for all I'm worth, but nothing. Are they that hard? Should I be pushing down at the same time?
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: Don't know, my daughter-in-laws car. It may have been replaced.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 03 passat 1.8t
JA: What year is your VW?
Customer: 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, have removed the gas hoses(2) and lifted top. the rest of the pump is offset and I've reached down and twisted but it doesn't budge.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've felt around and it seems the pump is only attached at the top of plastic holder in the tan k.
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site.

Let me just say that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

They are pretty tight. There is a tool for that. Please see attached diagram, thanks

• Turn Fuel Pump (FP) approx. 15 degrees toward left to stop using fuel pump wrench 3307 and remove it.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer in a positive way, . EVEN IF YOU HAVE A SUBSCRIPTION ****THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID ****

Expert:  Jerry replied 2 months ago.

If you accept my additional service request for your email address, you can give me your email in a private info box and I'll send you the instructions in a PDF file, the file is rather large.

You will just have to accept the additional service offer and ENTER your email address in the “ENTER CONTACT INFO” section so that I can see it. Thanks

I do not have access to your email address,