Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech, 30 years experience
2947720

Battery drain, Battery is new and already dead after more

Customer Question

Battery drain
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Battery is new and already dead after more that two days parked. Today replaced the coolant sensor to see what happens but already checked coolant pump and it runs 10 minutes before turning off either if motor is cold.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: jetta 2003
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just told you
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The only couple of things I might still have to try is a solenoid of passenger side that is stuck and might be creating a parasite drainage but I cant detect with my tester either but gona replace it
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for visiting the site. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.

.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

As long as the alternator is charging the battery when the engine is running. You will want to check for a current draw. Normally that is done by disconnecting the negative battery cable and hooking up an amp meter in series with the circuit.

…..

Also can be done with a 12 volt test light. You just go from the battery terminal to the cable end, (disconnected) and see what the draw is or if the light comes on.

….

The recommendation for maximum parasitic drain is around 30 mA (0.030 amp). A typical drain today actually falls into the 7-12 mA range, even though some vehicles do approach the maximum. Multiply the drain (in amps) by the time (in hours) the battery sits without being recharged. The result is the amount of AH consumed by the parasitic drain. The actual drain may be small, but over time the battery grows steadily weaker.

……

If so, then you will want to start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out, (or meter goes down) and that will be the circuit in which the draw is in. If no fuses being pulled cause it to drop, then unplug the alternator then the starter. They could do it but it's rare.

Just remember to keep the doors closed, (or dome light disabled) and the hood light unplugged,

.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.

.

Thanks

.