Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio turn signals and hazard do not work

Customer Question

2002 Volkswagen Cabrio turn signals and hazard do not work have changed the hazard switch and relay but still not work is there a secondary relay ?
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

The relay that you have changed is the only relay for the indicators and the emergency flashers.

The system operate from two fuses. One for the indicators and one for the emergency flashers.

Fuse no 2 10A fuse is for the indicators.

Fuse no 17 10A fuse is for the emergency flashers.

I might just be a blown fuse but if you find that the fuses are good let me know and we can take it from there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Fuses are both good when I depress the hazard switch slightly I hear a click from the relay
Expert:  Martin replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information. It would seem as the power does not get switch through to the lights.

I have some wiring diagrams that will help you trace the circuit. The emergency switch directs the power. When in the off position the switch for the directional indicators are on, when one switch the emergency flashers on it will switch the directional indicators off.

I have two diagrams one which if a very simple drawing of the circuit and one that is the same as in your car.

I hope you this will assist you should you need more information please do not hesitate to ask.

Expert:  Martin replied 2 months ago.

The indicator wiring are on the exterior light page.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I received your reply with diagrams but to be honest I am not a mechanic so for me this is like looking at something in chinese, I am guessing the problem is somewhat more complicated than that of a do it your selfer and I would need to bring it to a person who specializes in auto electric.