vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My 2004 V8 Touareg would not start. It jump started fine.

Customer Question

My 2004 V8 Touareg would not start. It jump started fine. Ran for awhile.
Next day same thing, no start..but dashboard lights up. Will jump start every time.
Took 10 month old batt back to Advanced Auto. They charged & tested it overnite. Said it was A OK. Replaced in Treg (not fun). Still no power to start. Batt tested 13.4volts.
1.2 volts at remote terminals. No service or VW shops around here.
Please advise,
Lysa
Key Largo FL
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need a vin # of the vehicle to see if a certian repair was done under warranty

thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Treg is now dead. No dash, nothing. Won't jump start either.
VIN WVGCM77LX4D076796
Thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

ok thanks for the info . what happens if you jump start the car at the battery itself . you need to remove the bolts in the front and remove the trim at the back of the seat that hides the track so you can pivot the seat back to gain access.

once you have the vehicle running pay attention of the volt gage . does it fluctuate in voltage ? what is the voltage reading at the gage?

allow the vehicle to run for a while and see if the voltage fluctuates.

please let me know

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Car is dead. Battery kept draining after install. Started toward home and car quit. Won't even jump start now . Tow truck on the way but our garage probably can't do Treg .
Also 90 degrees down here :( , :)
Any advice? Thanks
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

i have a feeling if it died on driving either the alternator is bad or the charge cables from the alternator to the battery has a big resistance (voltage drop) and causing not to charge the battery.

now in 2007 there was a service action where the the starter alternator cable was replaced to the jucntion box . but that needs to be checked once the battery is charged . the passenger front wheel and fender liner removed and electrical checks needed

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi ***** said earlier, the batt was charged and showed 13.5 and only 1.5 v at the engine compartment posts... Could it be the dessey/ imobiliser? Any thoughts or shall we just give up for now. I am still waiting for tow truck....
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

ok that is good on the battery when charged. Charging system gives a better direction of which way to go is it the alternator or is it the cables . right now leading to the cable from the battery to the underhood junction but it is not conclusive without check ing the charging system . eht engine to frame ground and the other cables. on this guessing can be very expensive if the part is not the correct one!!!