peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

Driver' side window won't power back up, nor will passenger

Customer Question

Driver' side window won't power back up, nor will passenger side. Also, power mirrors not working. Interior lights, locking system & trunk ok. Happened suddenly after having windows fully open.
JA: Have you checked the vehicle's manual for this?
Customer: Sure. Not helpful really.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: '01 1.8 litre turbo, manual trans
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am. Trying to see if there is a fuse associated with this problem as it is happening on both sides.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Drivers side all the way down, passenger side 1/3 way down.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's a 2001 new beetle!
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If it had rained when you had the windows open this may have allowed water to enter the doors or interior of your model and get an ecu wet damaging it internally.If you have not had the fault codes checked with a scan tool plugged into your vehicle that can read all computers this needs done.If any codes are set the codes will need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.This will help in locating the fault.If there was no rain let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was no rain. I am looking for a VW expert as I have heard that this may be a fuse issue.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete