Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I've got a check engine light with p0638 TPS and p2015 IMRC

Customer Question

I've got a check engine light with p0638 TPS and p2015 IMRC codes
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: it turns on and off every few days
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2010 Jetta Wolfsburg
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I'd like to fix this myself, haven't tried anything yet but I was going to start by testing the sweep of the TPS, I'm not sure what to do about the IMRC
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: nope
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I DO NEED A VIN # TO ASSIST YOU!!

THANKS

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My VIN is 3VWRA7AJ0AM049926, after reading about this more it seems to be a common failure of the intake manifold flap position sensor which requires the entire intake manifold to be replaced, I could probably do the work myself but I imagine this is covered in a powertrain warranty which I still have, please let me know if you have any other thoughts or possible diagnosis that I could perform
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

HOW MANY MILES YOU HAVE ON THE VEHICLE?

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

IF THE VEHICLE IS LESS THAN 120,000 MILES THERE IS A WARRANTY EXTENSION WHICH THE MANIFOLD IS COVERED FREE OF CHARGE AT THE VW DEALER. I WOULD RECOMMEND ALSO TO HAVE THE DECARBONIZATION OF THE INTAKE PORTS DONE (THAT WOULD BE AN EXPENSE COVERED BY YOU) SINCE THE INTAKE ANIFOLD IS OFF MUCH LESS IN COST TO KEEP THE COLD START MISFIRE ISSUE AT BAY. THEY DO TEND TO CARBON UP AFTER TIME SO NOW WOULD BE THE TIME TO HAVE IT DONE!!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang