vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I got cut off i had the problem with the 2012 jetta cooling

Customer Question

i got cut off i had the problem with the 2012 jetta cooling fan not shutting off
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: need to know where the fan controler on relay is at
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: 170000 new battery
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: 2012 jetta tdi code 16869 cooling fan power/groung ciruit malfunction
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I have some more questions that i need to know.

was the vehicle in an accident recently ?

any repair work prior of this issue that you have now was performed?

i do need a vin # of the vehicle

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no accident ,just normal maint vin is 3vwpl7aj5cm63324
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

please double check the vin # it is missing a digit!!

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3vwpl7aj5cm633324
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

i need to know this if you have a scan tool handy. if so clear the fault in the engine and then turn off the ignition unplug the fan connector (lower driver side ) and then rescan is the code still there or are there other codes?

thanks

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
cleared codes unpluged fan rechecked has code 16864 fan 1 control circuit and 54282 code dont know what that is
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

OK WE NEED TO TRACE THE WIRING FOR THE FAN . DO YOU HAVE A DIGITAL VOLT OHM METER? IF NOT PLEASE GET ONE SO WE CAN TACKLE THIS!!

THANKS AND LET ME KNOW

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

OK LET ME GET THAT DIAGRAM AND WILL GET BACK A BIT LATER . IT WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO GET IT AND HAVE A GAME PLAN FOR YOU!!!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok cant work on it any more today have to finish engine overhaul for a customor will be able to work on it tomorrow some
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

GOT IT I WILL HAVE THAT READY FOR YOU TOMORROW FOR SURE!!!

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

I NEED YOU TO CHECK FUSE F24 MAKE SURE IT IS GOOD AND MEASURE VOLTAGE ON THAT FUSE TO MAKE SURE YOU HAVE 12 VOLTS. AND HAVE 12 VOLTS AND AT PIN 2 AT THE 4 PIN CONNECTOR OF THE FAN.

THEN CHECK THE RESISTANCE OF THE FAN CONNECTOR PIN 3 TO ECU PINS 50 AND 90 OF THE T94 PIN CONNECTOR. MUST BE LESS THAN 1 OHM OF RESISTANCE

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i forgot to tell you that code 16869 has been on for a year with no problems 3 days ago it started staying on all the time to run down battery i dont have wiring diagram at shop we run a fleet of fords i have three of these and vw is going to buy them back asap i hope
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 5 months ago.

I HAVE NO CLUE ON THE BUYBACK YET AND I WORK AT THE DEALER!! GO FIGURE . WELL NOW WE WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!!!