Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

I did the easy replacement method vacuum pump on a 2009

Customer Question

I did the easy replacement method for a vacuum pump on a 2009 Jetta 2.5L. You do have to take off the cover of the pump because there is a metal pole (about 4 inches long) coming out of the transmission that prevents you from pulling out the pump. With the cover off you can maneuver it out but when you place the new pump with the cover off the oil comes out. (Not alot of oil but it's certainly there for a reason). My issue now is that the pump has a loud clicking noise when the engine is running at full temperature. I'm assuming it's because the oil in the pump that is supposed to provide lubrication escaped when I installed without the cover. Does anyone know what type of oil I would need to add to the pump? I'm thinking I will try to slightly open the cover then shoot some in with a turkey baster injector. Thoughts?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to
direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

you need to take the pump cover off and make sure the vane end is in place . most likely it fell out and that is why the noise is there!!

i have that happen once because if you do not get the pump in correctly on install it tends to fall out!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

I am not sure what the vain end is. The pump is installed and working correctly. I only have the ticking noise.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

im talking about the guts inside when you took it apart to get the pump in . the straight piece has sealing ends . one of the ends has fallen off and then you get the noise.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks Man, I get it! I must have lost the piece during installation. Now I have a new problem...where in the hell do I get, just the end piece?!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 months ago.

can't either get a new pump or do you have the old pump get the piece of the old pump and insert in the new one!!