peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

My 2010 Jetta S 2.5 5 cal starts but the following lights

Customer Question

My 2010 Jetta S 2.5 5 cal starts but the following lights showed upon the panel...check engine, bulb, ESP AND it won't shift out of park. It ran yesterday but my trunk stopped opening with both the fob and the button on the door so I started checking fuses. The other problems started after I did that. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

You may have caused fault codes to set when you checked the fuses turning on the other messages/lights here or reinstalled fuses in the incorrect positions.What has to be done from here unfortunately is to have a fully compatible scan tool plugged into your model to check fault codes in all computers.Once this is done have the codes cleared out as sometimes this is all that is needed after fuses have been removed and reinstalled.If the faults do not go away then the codes need diagnosed and repaired to correct this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
But would that still cause the shift knob not to release out of park?

I apologize as I missed the part with it not shifting out of park.

If your model does not have brake lights when the engine is running and brake pedal is pressed this may be a fault with the brake light switch itself with it needing replaced.I have seen these fail before in the past causing this issue and can also cause the check engine and ESP light to come on.I would have this tested to see if you have a faulty brake light/position switch needing replaced.

I see no one has posted any help with this here.In some cases this can be due to the info you may be looking for may be difficult to obtain or the correct person that can help may not be online.