peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have a 2001 passat. It had water by the ccm so we

Customer Question

I have a 2001 passat. It had water by the ccm so we disconnected the battery and now when we reconnected it the car will not start.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: I dont know how old the battery is. We just bought the car last week for my son.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: All I tried was a check of the battery cables and we disconnected them for 10 minutes and then reconnected them.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The CCM needs to be replaced. it is very corroded and the interior lights do not work as a result.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 4 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The CCM can cause data communication faults in allot of cases and cause the no start that you see here.It may be that it failed completely when a voltage surge occurred from disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.

If you havent yet try locking and unlocking the doors with the remote or power door lock button in the vehicle and see if this allows starting of the vehicle then.If this does not work at all then you will have to have the fault codes checked/read out with a compatible scan tool to see what codes are set in all computers in your model then from there those codes diagnosed and repaired to correct this issue here.If locking and unlocking does not work I suspect the CCM data signals is the cause here and the CCM needs replaced most likely.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,a rating of 4 or 5 is apprectiated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete