Master Auto Tech.
Master Auto Tech., A.S.E. Certified Master Technician
Experience:  Over 20 years working on imports and domestic cars
17920890

Left Headlight won't work on 2006 jetta

Customer Question

Left Headlight won't work on 2006 jetta
Category: VW
Expert:  Master Auto Tech. replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry you are having problems with your vehicle. I will try to help.I'm a full time mechanic and have been a mechanic for over 20 yrs and I work part-time here on JustAnswer to help you and others repair their own vehicles, and I get credited by your ratings.. So before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as neeed, even after the rating.. I will need for you to be my hands and eyes since I'm not there.Do you have a test light?
Let me know becouse we need to test if you are getting power there.Let me knowThanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already tested it and I have two wires that dont have any power going to them
Ok. Let me look up the wiring diagram. Give me bout 20-30 min.
real quick, as I'm pulling up the diagrams, did you check your fuses for that head light?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
they all looked fine
ok I'm having trouble with the system pulling up anything on the wiring diagrams. I'll opt out and see if someone can help in the mean time and if not and I get it to work I'll chime back in.Sorry bout this
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thank you
Ok just got a friend to email me a diagram. It shows fuse 19 and 21 as the left side headlight fuses.
Check and make sure that's correct. If it is then test them for power. Let me know if they have power and are correct.Thanks
Sonny
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am at work right now when I get home this afternoon I will check and let you know
Sounds good. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Can you give me a diagram of the fuse box
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is what my fuse box looks like
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The left high beam works but the left low beam does not work
the headlight works or the fuse has power? Or both? And is it just the low beam not working or the fuse doesn't have power?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The only thing that doesn't work is the low beam. All the fuses have power
Ok so if it doesn't work and you don't have power at the connector for the headlight but you have power at fuse 21 (left headlight low beam fuse) and it's a good fuse, then there is a break in the wire between the headlight and the fuse. If you have a wire prob then you can pierce the wire a few inches from the connector and see if there power there.If there is power at the connector then 1) the connection isn't good or 2) bad bulb.Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok I'm at work I will check it when I get home this afternoon
thank you
No problem. Anytime.
No problem. Anytime.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you have diagrams to both of the fuse boxes you can send to me
I never got my diagrams to pull up so I just have the one my friend sent which is just a diagram of the light circuits. I'll see if he can find the fuse box descriptions and diagrams.
I'm assuming you don't have your owners manual for the car? Becouse that is in there.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry but I just getting in I will have to check it tomorrow.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here is what my book has I don't know if it is accurate
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Here are my fuse boxes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry sent the wrong pic here are the fuse boxes
I just got some of the manual to pull up but seems like the website has a some issues still. Keep getting sent to other things. Anyway the wiring diagram my friend sent me was wrong. I asked and he sent for wrong vehicle. Anyway does yours have HID low beams or standard holagen low beams?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Standard holagen
Ok so I was checking up on thing. If it's standard holagen, and the left low beam doesn't work but the bulb is good just no power on the low beam circuit. but left high beam does and both right side lights work (low and high) then you have a broken wire somewhere. Unfortunately broken wires and European harness are kinda common.
Unfortunately the only way to find it is start at the light and trace backwards. You can back probe the wire every couple of feet checking for power so you don't miss it. But make sure the low beams are on as you test.
Just curious, do you have day time running lights? And if so are both low beams on then? Also just for the heck of it, swap the bulbs between drivers and passengers side and see what happens. I've seen some weird things with VW's is why I say to do that.I'm sorry I wish there was an easier way for this.Let me know if you have any questions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have daytime running lights and both low beams are on. I will try and check it this afternoon if possible, depends on when I get off I am a truck driver and you never know when your day ends.
I will let you know when I check, thank you
Wait, so both low beams work fine on the drl's?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok so that is going to be something else then. Go ahead and just for kicks, swap the left bulb with the right. Also find your drl relay and swap it with another relay that's the same as it and retry. Let me know what happens.