internal88, VW Mechanic
Experience:  I've been working in the automotive industry for over 10 years. Diagnostic is my strength.

2003 new Beetle convertible when i turn the key nothing

Customer Question

2003 new Beetle convertible when i turn the key nothing happens? Please help.... I've only had the car 1 month and now it won't start?
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: It's in park
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes if possible? I've tried the battery terminals & I've disconnected the battery.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I've had the car only 1 month this is the first time it hasn't started? I had to have it towed home from over an hour away its been 3 days & it still won't turn over?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the VW Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: VW
Expert:  internal88 replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I'm Matt- VW tech.
Let's start on the battery first. Did you check the battery voltage yet? If no, do you have a volt meter to check. Mostly likely it could be a bad battery that do not have enough power to start the engine.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I will check that out but the lights worked fine and I tride jump starting it with a new truck & still nothing happens when I turn the key? It doesn't turn over at all. The EPC signal on the dash is on...? Does that mean anything? Also had a friend come over with a diagnostic tool & he couldn't figure out what was wrong? He said to ask about the "EPC signal"

The EPC light on a Volkswagen stands for Electronic Power Control, and it is used to indicate problems in the engine.

You will need an OBD2 scanner to retrieve the code. The code will give you an idea what is wrong with the vehicle.

You could have a bad neutral safety switch or a bad starter. You could get a scanner from autozone if you want to scan it yourself.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We used an OBD2 scanner & no codes came up. We were able to do a reset but nothing has changed? It still does absolutely nothing when I turn the key. Again.... the lights all work & the radio works excetera excetera excetera what should we do now?

In the case it would be bad starter motor. This is the motor that crank the engine to fire.

It looks like this. The cost is about $60.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
What should the battery read when I hook it up to a voltage meter? Also what about D.C. AMPS? what should that be?
It should be 12.6 volts when the engine is off. Don't worry about the amps for now.